Why Is Indoor Air Quality Important?
Your key is a continuous flow of fresh air.
Control humidity for your comfort and health.
We recommend keeping your home’s relative humidity levels between 30% and 60% for your best comfort and health. Look for these signs that your home is too humid:
- Regularly damp areas
- Musty odors
- Condensation stains on the ceiling
- Condensation or frost on windows
- Sticky or clammy feeling in the air
- Peeling wallpaper
- You have to operate your air conditioner more often to get comfortable
- You can also experience problems with your health and home when the air is too dry. During the winter, indoor relative humidity can be as dry as some of the world’s harshest deserts. If you notice any of these symptoms, the humidity in your home could be too low:
- Excessive allergies or respiratory illnesses
- Scratchy, sore throat or excessive cough
- Dry, irritated nasal passages
- Dry, itchy skin
- Chapped lips
- Static shocks
- Cracked, peeling wallpaper
- Warped or cracked wood
- Damage to household furnishings
What are your options if your home has a humidity imbalance? Call Arnold’s Air Conditioning of South Florida Inc in Stuart and West Palm Beach areas at (772) 247-0337 or make a consultation online. We’ve got dehumidifiers and humidifiers that will help ensure your home is a comfortable home.
Allergies and Other Health Problems in Stuart and West Palm Beach areas could be a Result of Poor Air Quality
How can I prevent indoor air quality problems?
Luckily, preventing indoor air quality problems can be relatively easy. Just take some of these tips from us:
- Radon is the number one cause of lung cancer among nonsmokers, according to estimates from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. Test your home for radon. Go to www.epa.gov to find out more information and to find out if your state offers free or discounted test kits to the public.
- You should have carbon monoxide alarms installed near all sleeping areas.
- Demand that your home remains smoke free.
- Dust mites can irritate allergies and asthma, particularly in children. To reduce them, keep your home clean. While even regular cleaning can’t get rid of all dust problems, you can minimize them by making use of a whole-home filtration system with a MERV 16 rating, the highest capture efficiency among air cleaners.
- Anything that burns gas should be vented outside of your home.
- Don’t use scented candles or aerosol sprays to mask odors. It’s better to look for the source of the odor and destroy it.
- Supplies for cleaning, painting and hobbies should be low- or no-VOC (volatile organic compound), which are safer for your house and the environment. Ozone is a proven lung irritant, so it’s best to avoid using products that produce it.
- You can help keep humidity levels comfortable using a humidifier or a dehumidifier, depending on your region. Keep humidity under 50% to impede mold and mildew buildup.
- Patch all leaks and cracks in your home.
- Make sure your home is properly ventilated, to prevent moisture problems. With a ventilation system, stale, contaminated indoor air is replaced with fresher outside air.
Having your HVAC equipment inspected to significantly reduce buildup of contaminants or moisture is one more easy way to keep your home healthy. You can call Arnold’s Air Conditioning of South Florida Inc in Stuart and West Palm Beach areas at (772) 247-0337 or simply schedule an appointment online.